Courtesy of Jen
5-6 medium to large tart apples (Granny Smiths are best, but you could also use a sweeter apple, like Gala, and just sprinkle some lemon juice on them after you chop them)
3/4 cup sugar (can also use Splenda, cup for cup)
2 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 pkg of 2 ready-made, rolled-up, refridgerated crusts (any brand name or the generic work just fine...just make sure there are 2 inside)
one of the following: (***see below for explaination of this step***)
2 tsp of melted butter, one egg white, or enough foil to wrap from underneath the pie plate and over the edges
1) Peel, core, and cut apples into small chunks (sprinkle with lemon juice if using sweet apples).
2) Mix apples and all seasonings in a bowl.
3) Unroll one crust into a pie plate.
4) Dump apple mixture into crust and spread evenly.
5) Flip the other crust on top and trim the dough that is overlapping the pie plate.
6) Fold edge of top crust underneath the edge of the bottom crust and pinch together all around the edge of the pie plate (I use my pointer finger and push the outside edge towards the middle of the pie while pinching it around my finger with my other pointer and thumb, so it makes a wave all around the edge--I hope that makes sense. You can also crimp it together by using the tinges of a fork and pressing down all around the edge of the pie plate).
7) Make 4-5 slits in the middle with a knife to let steam out as it cooks.
8) Brush entire top crust with either melted butter or an egg white (optional)***
9) Bake at 425 for 45-60 min, or until it is golden brown. ***If you don't brush it with butter or egg, make sure you only bake it for 20 minutes and then wrap the edges from the bottom with foil for the last 25-40 minutes. The edges will burn if you don't brush them or cover them with foil.***